Skiing
Skiing has been a thorn in my side for a long long time. It shouldn't be because I come from a skiing family. My parents took us skiing as kids. My sister works at a ski resort in Park City. My mother skied when she was in her 60's. I am half Swiss so it is in my DNA to be able to ski. But, I am 36 and I still hate it. I blame the way I learned how to ski. It was like the Mascot's learning how to swim: when she was a puppy the CFO, thinking all dogs instinctively knew how to swim and loved water, tossed her into a lake. She got back to shore, but she hates water. My first lessons were like that.
The CFO loves skiing and has successfully taught our boys E & C to ski things like "Chutes" and "Black Diamonds". I am his next victim.....I mean student. To get me started, the CFO gave me all this for Christmas:
I retaliated and gave him this:
(He loves it when people ask him about the book. So when you see him, discuss the book(s) with him---OK) But, I digress....
It is with much trepidation that I take this month and do my best at learning, not only to ski, but to like it just a little bit. I promised the CFO I would go 5 times if the weather is good.
SKI TRIP #1
My friend Lisa is also a novice skier and she agreed to go with me. We spent half the day on a run called "Little Cat". True to its name, it is little, just a bunny hill, and it was perfect for me.
(We are the two ski hotties on the left):
I fell down once when a little kid came barreling down and crashed into me. For several minutes I was like a turtle on my back. I could not stand up. I will have to work on that before I go again. Yes, I will go again.

4 comments:
You really will LOVE it one day, don't torture yourself!!! And I'm sorry that I had "part" in the Christmas gift, I'll TOTALLY ask CFO about the books!!! ;)
I know your feelings about skiing! Good job for trying again! And better than asking Brad myself, I will have Nick ask Brad about the books and I am sure Nick will grill him to see if he is really reading them! Nick will take him to the movie if he wants to go with a guy! :0)
Every year we go to Big Sky which has amazing skiing for my continuing law education. This year I bought extremely expensive ski lessons because I really hate this way of "bonding" with my husband. I enjoyed big Sky but hate the local hill because it has little snow and you can see rocks and dirt. I'm not advanced enough for rocks and snow.
so buy really expensive ski lessons. try and get a really hot instructor. See how that goes over.
I love retaliatory gifts! They are the ones you will really remember!! I haven't ever gone skiing but maybe someday I will.
Post a Comment