Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Miss You Mom

Two years ago this morning I got a horrible wake up call from my dad telling me that my mom had passed away. Although time does heal, it still stinks. I am the most sad when I realize that my young kids will not know her very well. This post is for them.
These are the things I remember most about your Grandma:

  • she worked hard to be a good person, to serve her fellow men and please our Heavenly Father
  • she never stopped learning...she took belly dancing lessons and Vietnamese language lessons.
  • she spoke 3 languages
  • she spent a ridiculous amount of time making Swiss Christmas cookies for the entire neighborhood.
  • she was enormously Patriotic, but she also loved anything Swiss and would buy it if it had Swiss on the label, ie: St.Ives lotion and Ricola cough drops.
  • she belonged to a Swiss Performing Group called the Swiss Chorus Edelweiss. She sang, danced and tossed the Swiss flag.
  • she sewed, knitted, embroidered and quilted
  • she played the piano
  • she mowed the backyard lawn in a bikini
  • she had great taste in clothes and bought most of them from Nordstroms...but she always bought off the sale rack.
  • she was a clean freak
  • she loved romance novels
  • we would watch THE LOVE BOAT together
  • she made yummy wienersnitzel and fliesh flugal
  • her chili was terrible
  • she loved chocolate and taught me everything I know about hiding it from my kids
  • she drank "tea punch". That is what she called herbal tea so that we wouldn't think we were breaking the Word of Wisdom.
  • she would swear, to this day, of the miraculous healing powers of cod liver oil. (Just so you know, Grandma would mix liquid cod liver oil with orange juice CONCENTRATE! then feed it to me by the spoon full. So when you complain that something doesn't taste good, you probably won't get a sympathetic ear from me.)
  • she loved Tom Selleck but, she loved Grandpa more.

I am grateful for a wonderful mother. So, everyone call/hug your moms today!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen,

I loved that. Brings back great memmories, but I think her spagetti was worse.

angela said...

Has another year really passed? Wonderful post. Thanks for the good cry :-)

The Skiing Wallaces said...

That is a great post, Jen. She reminds me a lot of my mom, actually. I think the only thing they didn't have in common is that my mom doesn't speak Vietnamese! And I love that we share a Swiss heritage. You're the only other person under the age of 50 I've ever met that knows what a Bratzli cookie is (I'm pretty sure I murdered the spelling on that puppy....), and/or who owns the iron to press them with. That is fantastic!

mom said...

Jen, I am touched by the tribute you wrote for your mother. I hope my children will have that many good things to say about me. (However, I am jealous that I never had the body to wear a bikini or take up belly dancing!) Your Mom is probably smiling as she reads this, amazed that you have now told the world her secrets! She is lucky to have such a special daughter, and since she isn't here to tell you that, I will tell you!

mom said...

Jen, I was touched by the tribute to your mother.
I hope my children can say such nice things about me. (But I am jealous that I never had the body to wear a bikini or take up belly dancing!) Your Mom is probably smiling as she reads this, amazed that you have told the world her secrets! She is blessed to have such a special daughter, and since she isn't here to tell you that, I will tell you!

Niederfam said...

So sweet!!! Your kiddos will cherish that and I'm sure your mom smiled as she read it too!!!

MartinCrew said...

This is beautiful Jen! How blessed you are to be a part of her. She sounds amazing!