Sunday, August 16, 2009

A 12 Year Era-Finished

No, the mascot isn't dead (she will be 12 this year, however). Rather, the CFO has changed employment. After 12 yrs with the same company (8 in Idaho and 4 in Utah in Oncology) I have changed employers. The last 12 years have been very good to us but it was time for a change.

I have gone to work for a Utah based company that patented several different gene sequences and gene mutations for different types of cancers. I will be selling the genetic tests that analyze a persons genes to see if they have a mutation which would predispose them to an extraordinarily high chance of having a specific cancer. With breast cancer for example, if a person has the mutation, their lifetime chance of having breast cancer goes from about 8% to about 90%. We have tests for people with family histories of Breast, Ovarian, Endometrial and Colon Cancer.

I will be selling the tests to OB/GYN's/primary care docs and asking them to screen patients for a family history of these 4 cancers. If the patient has a significant enough history there is reason to be tested. Of those with a significant family history, about 10% will actually have the mutation. Either a positive or negative result is extremely valuable. If the result is negative then your chance for breast cancer goes from 90% to 12% and the patient is followed and screened the same as the normal population. If the result is positive then the patient has enhanced surgical and screening options.

The reason I am posting this much information is because I am stunned at the number of people that, as I have explained what I am doing, have expressed concern about their family history. Most don't know that this type of testing is available. If this is something you are interested in I would be happy to discuss it with you. I'm not trying to get more sales through my blog, but I am quickly becoming passionate about the value that this information provides to a person who is truly at an extremely high risk.

The CFO

2 comments:

Niederfam said...

Valuable testing indeed!!!!!! Hmmmmm....I need you to sell my OB that test!!!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't need the test, but if I did you have been successful in convincing me that it is a good thing! Thanks again for all the good and thoughtful things you did during our lengthy visit. I will miss my early morning walks with the mascot. She is moving slower than in past years, but still gets impatient when I stop too often to do some birdwatching!