Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Parenting: Highs and Lows

The High: Last night I was feeling like a pretty good parent. The CFO happened to be working late so I took the kids into town. E brought his skateboard and I dropped him off at the skate park. A little ways down the road, C had baseball practice. Right next to the baseball field is the High School track. I decided to do some jogging and I brought O's tricycle for her to ride while I jogged. Everyone was doing a meaningful activity. They were safe and having fun in the fresh air, getting some exercise. I was feeling pretty good. Woohoo! What a good mom am I.

The Low: This morning I was reading this booklet of C's 2nd Grade stories:
This is what his wrote for one of his stories. The assignment: write about something funny.
"Once when I was at my brother's soccer game, my friend's big brother kicked a big pink soccer ball and it hit my nuts and it was funny. We all laughed and we had a fun time."
Blink.
Blink.
horror sets in.
Here is the picture he drew for his story:

(sorry it flipped on it's side when I downloaded???)

more horror sets in.

Then, my reaction: "AGHHHHHHHHHH!!! C, we don't use that word!!!" Then, we had a five minute discussion about what word/s would be appropriate when we are writing stories for our teacher and class.

We settled on "between the legs".

6 comments:

Karly and Nick said...

The joys of little boys!

Good job on the jogging!

angela said...

You jogged? What's wrong with you? Boys and their nuts. Something us girls thankfully never have to understand. Thanks for the laugh. You realize the teacher got a good laugh when he/she read that.

cindave said...

coming from an ex teacher, there may be a copy of that story hanging in the teachers lounge. HA HA! at the very least, it was shown to all the fellow teachers. that is hilarious! and awesome illustration. :)

Niederfam said...

yep, pretty sure that story is on file and legendary in the teacher's lounge, or at least somewhere where the teacher can pull it out to snicker about. sorry, but it's funny!!! glad there was a HIGH to go with that one......

Anonymous said...

In fact, I may even retell it during lunch in the faculty room tomorrow That is priceless---just when you think you are doing all the right things they make you wonder!

Anonymous said...

In fact, I may even retell that one during lunch tomorrow in the faculty room! Too cute, a keeper. Just when you think you must be doing something right, they make you wonder!